Hormones play an essential role in regulating almost every bodily function and process we have. As such, whenever someone experiences a hormonal imbalance or deficiency, it can have far-reaching effects throughout their body, impacting their overall health and sense of well-being.
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women?
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for women is a treatment that is used to treat hormonal imbalances or deficiencies that uniquely affect women. While hormone replacement therapy can be used for both men and women, the types of HRT are different for both sexes because the hormonal deficiencies are also different most of the time. As such, hormone replacement therapy for men typically involves boosting testosterone levels, while HRT for women can include increasing or balancing estrogen or progesterone levels or both.
Estrogen and progesterone levels can drop or become imbalanced due to several different medical conditions, life stages, or circumstances, including the following:
- Diabetes insipidus (DI)
- Diabetes mellitus, both type 1 and type 2
- Eating disorders
- Hyperthyroidism, which is an overactive thyroid
- Hypothyroidism, which is an underactive thyroid
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Premature menopause, which is also referred to as primary ovarian insufficiency
- Use of birth control pills
Since women can have imbalances or deficiencies with either estrogen or progesterone, there are several different types of hormone replacement therapy for women, including estrogen-only HRT or continuous HRT with both estrogen and progesterone. Other kinds of HRT include thyroid hormone therapy or anti-androgen medications for women with thyroid disorders or high androgen levels.
There are also several different ways that HRT can be administered, such as the following:
- Applied to the skin in the form of a cream, gel, or spray
- Ingested as a pill or tablet
- Skin or transdermal patch
- Vaginal cream, ring, or tablet
What does HRT do for a woman?
The primary use of hormone replacement therapy is to treat the symptoms of menopause. However, since hormone imbalances can occur during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or due to various medical conditions or experiences, HRT can also help women who are years away or removed from menopause. With that being said, HRT can help women by improving any of the following symptoms they experience due to a hormonal imbalance or deficiency:
- Anxiety and depression
- Burning, itching, or painful sensations during sexual intercourse
- Difficulty with concentration or memory
- Fatigue or low energy levels
- Hot flashes or night sweats
- Heavy, irregular, or painful menstrual cycles
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
- Irritability and mood swings or changes
- Little to no sex drive (libido)
- Urinary incontinence or other urinary problems
- Vaginal dryness
In addition to improving the symptoms listed above, hormone replacement therapy can also provide the following benefits to women:
- Anti-aging benefits for your skin
- Greater concentration and memory
- Higher energy levels
- Improved muscle function
- Reduced risk of having a heart attack or experiencing heart failure
Where can I get Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women near Wesley Chapel, FL?
If you are looking for a clinic near Wesley Chapel, FL, that provides hormone replacement therapy for women, we extend a warm welcome for you to come to RejuvaMed! Our medical doctors and professionals would be pleased to provide you with HRT if you are dealing with a hormonal deficiency or imbalance. You can find our clinic at 28945 State Road 54, Suite 101, in Wesley Chapel, Florida.
For more information about hormone replacement therapy for women or to schedule an appointment for hormone replacement therapy with us at RejuvaMed, we invite you to do so through our website or by giving us a call! We serve patients from Wesley Chapel FL, Land o Lakes FL, Lutz FL, New Tampa FL, Tampa Palms FL, Zephyrhills FL, San Antonio FL, Dade City FL, Tampa FL, and surrounding areas.